Karen of the indispensable Shadows and Satin threw me for a loop by nominating yours truly for a Liebster. However, I righted myself and will follow the guidelines of one so honoured. I must answer Karen's 11 questions then come up with 11 things you might not know about me, nominate up to 11 Liebster-worthy bloggers and ask them 11 questions. Ach, du Lieber!
1. On your perfect viewing day, what five films would air back-to-back on TCM?
Rio Grande, The Big Country, Bend of the River, Comanche Station, Stagecoach
2. What's your favorite movie-related book?
Mr. Laurel and Mr. Hardy by John McCabe.
3. Name an underrated film that you'd recommend.
The Little Kidnappers. A charmer set in Nova Scotia at the turn of the 20th century. It's a difficult period of adjustment for two orphaned boys and their strict grandfather.
4. What movie do you watch every time it comes on TV?
The Thing from Another World. If I don't watch it something terrible will happen. I know it will!
5. What's your favorite western?
Shane. It's a beautiful movie and a great western.
6. If you had Aladdin's lamp, what three wishes would you make?
More time. Less stress. Bigger closets.
7. What movie have you seen more often than any other?
1951s A Christmas Carol starring Alastair Sim. Every Christmas Eve since forever.
8. Name one thing you believed as a child that turned out not to be true.
Good guys always win.
9. What is your favorite guilty pleasure movie?
The Greatest Show on Earth. I love it. Eat more popcorn than is good for me, shout at the bad guys, avert my eyes at train/car crash and cry when ... oh, I can't even talk about it.
10. Name a movie that it seems everyone has seen but you.
Jaws. I didn't see it when it was first released and it just feels like the moment has passed.
11. Humphrey Bogart or Robert Mitchum?
Robert Mitchum. Can Bogie sing?
- Spent hours watching cartoons before my daughter began studying for her Bachelor in Animation.
- I name cats I don't own yet.
- Must have a stool to reach the top shelves in my kitchen. This makes my tall children laugh.
- My happy place is listening to old opera recordings.
- In a couple of weeks I will have been married for 27 years!
- Saw my first Charlie Chan movie at the age of 12. I think it did something to me.
- Extremely frightened of roller coasters.
- Performed a stand-up comedy routine revolving around my cancer treatment a few years ago.
- Worked as a secretary at police HQ.
- Belong to the unofficial sisterhood of zaftig women who have played Aunt Abby in Arsenic and Old Lace.
- Gravy is my favorite beverage.
Liebster-worthy writers with blogs you should be following:
Wide Screen World
The Last Drive-In
Tales of the Easily Distracted
The Stalking Moon
A Trip Down Memory Lane
Should these bloggers choose to participate in the world of the Liebster, they should ponder these questions:
1. What is your favourite book?
2. Who is your desert island director? Why?
3. If you had a choice, would you live in the past or the future?
4. Who is your favourite performer to lip-sync to?
5. Cats, dogs or lizards?
6. Where do you get the majority of your news? Print? Television? Online?
7. Which juror are you in 12 Angry Men?
8. Your favourite holiday? Why?
9. Do you play a musical instrument? Sing?
10. What are the first three films you would induct into your personal Film Registry?
11. Boris Karloff or Bela Lugosi?