1. The Searchers: deserving of any and all praise lavished upon it.
2. High Noon: well-crafted, well-acted movie. Continually entertaining.
3. Shane: my personal favourite.
4. Unforgiven: perhaps worthy, but I would consider bumping for "My Darling Clementine" or "The Ox Bow Incident".
5. Red River: gets better with age (or is that me?). Good choice.
6. The Wild Bunch: I would bump for the superior Peckinpah, "Ride the High Country".
7. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: puhleeze! Even Strother Martin can't make up for "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head". Replace with "Will Penny".
8. McCabe and Mrs. Miller: pales next to William Wyler's "The Big Country".
9. Stagecoach: excellent. Would place higher.
10. Cat Ballou: not even the best comedy-western (which would be "Support Your Local Sheriff", which wasn't on the short list). Begone in favour of Boetticher's "The Tall T".
Lookee here, folks. The opening is better than half the movies up there:
I know. I know. Let it go, caftanwoman. Let it go.
The Classic Movie Blog Association ( CMBA ) celebrates its 10th anniversary with the Fall 2019 blogathon, a salute to film anniversaries...
Christina Wehner and Ruth of Silver Screenings are hosting, for the second time mind you, the Movie Scientist Blogathon . The good, ...
The Classic Film and TV Cafe leads us in celebrating the 5th annual National Classic Movie Day with a blogathon spotlighting cinema of...
The Classic Movie Blog Association Fall 2018 blogathon focus is on Outlaws . Click HERE to read about the movie outlaws who cross genre...